Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Did I buy the wrong software?

Today I've been contemplating whether the purchase of Dragon was the right one or not. After spending about an hour making corrections to the voice writing I did this weekend during church, I found that many of the corrections needed were due to mistakes the computer made--not because it didn't understand my speech, but because of the intuitive quality that's been programmed into it. While this may be a helpful quality if one is using written English, it doesn't seem to work as well for captioning spoken English.

Not only that, but it added punctuation where it was not needed (even with auto punctuation turned off--seems to be a software bug) and made changes to my words in attempt to make sense to itself. Unfortunately, the changes it made changed the content of what I've said.

I will try to add an example here upon my next edit session. I wish I had thought of it earlier.

The other very frustrating aspect about Dragon is that it requires me to save files after about 40-50 minutes of voice writing. Since this takes a couple of minutes, some information is always lost.

Via Voice may have been the right choice after all. I've heard that VV doesn't look at the content of the entire sentence, it just takes what you say at face value and translates to text--making it quicker too. I thought this would be a negative. In reality, it may be just what is needed for captioning. Also, there isn't auto punctuation in this software so I wouldn't experience punctuation where I didn't ask for it. I'm going to check and see what my options are...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home